Dengue is a viral disease caused by any four serotypes of dengue virus which spreads by the bite of an infected Andes Mosquito. Rainfall and large water gathering in a place favours this mosquito breeding and temperature raise along with humidity helps them for survival in their adult phase and hence the more chances of dengue transmission. Dengue can also from an infected people to a healthy people by Aedes mosquitoes. There is no special antiviral treatment for dengue virus; Paracetamol, proper rest and fluid intake can reduce the effects in some days.
- High fever with severe headache
- Pain behind the eyes
- Severe joint pain
- A rash appears after 3 / 4 days
- Loss of appetite
- Mucosa bleeding, usually bleeding from noses and gums
Anyone having these symptoms must be checked up by the doctor. It can be diagnosed by a blood test.
- The interiors-basins, drains, plant pot plates and surroundings of the house should not remain wet that may lead to mosquito breeding. AC & refrigerator water should always be disposed of regularly and the water containers should be properly covered. The wastes should be properly destroyed. There should not any gatherings of wastes or water which might turn into a breeding site. Fallen leaves and standing water remained in roof and garden should be cleared daily.
- Use sterilizers
- Avoid visiting mosquito prone areas. If you are visiting any dengue prone area then use some cautions. You can apply mosquito / insect repellent containing DEET on the exposed skin or clothes to protect you from mosquitoes.
- Cover your skin especially in the daytime (as dengue virus infected mosquito bites in daytime) fully with long sleeves and long pants.
- Use mosquito nets while sleeping and you may protect your home fixing mosquito nets in doors and windows. Shut all your incoming of home in the peak mosquito hours.
- Always have a healthy diet, proper rest, daily exercise which will boost your immune system so that a mosquito bite can’t affect you easily.