Confidence is all about how we rate ourselves, believe in skills, self-qualities, capabilities and don’t care at all about what others think about us. When we feel unconfident, we become shy, unsatisfied with ourselves and make us to back foot. Confidence boosts us to take risks and challenges in life, try new things and making out best of the situations. Confidence people plan for their future, think positively, take steps to reach out their goals that indicates their mental health is giving them a forward way to make them successful.
For mental health and thus a physical confidence, diet plays a vital role. Healthy eating helps body and mind to feel better. A balanced diet rich in nutrition, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and mood boosting foods that reduce anxiety improves our confidence. When we eat carbohydrate foods our brain receives more Serotonin- a hormone that makes us feel good, relaxed, confident and when we take too much sugar rich foods and caffeine these cause mood swings, make us feel irritating, anxious. A healthy balanced diet improves cell development in brain. Thus a healthy diet reduces stress, allows to think clearly, keeps us physically and mentally active, performs the brain perfectly and gives you energy to act that boosts the confidence.
Foods to consider:
There are some foods that really boost our confidence. Amino acids contain “tryptophan” that boosts serotonin levels. Serotonin is a chemical our brain produces which makes us feel relaxed and focused.
1. Turkey contains tryptophan, protein that boost serotonin levels and essential fats
- Fish like salmon, sardines, trout and mackerel contain essential fats like DHA and omega-3 fatty acids that reduce stress.
- Foods that have folic acid Green leafy veggies such as spinach, almonds, beans, nuts and lentils are high in folic acid. Folic acids increases the Serotonin levels.
- Carbohydrates- this natural food contains the most tryptophan and high levels of Vitamin B that leads to good moods. Carbohydrates create glucose in the body that supplies the brain and muscles energy to perform better. Lack of carbs makes a person less concentrative and tiredness thus hampers the confidence level. This includes meat, rice, wheat, egg, cheese etc.
- Dark Chocolate which contains more cocoa that increases serotonin levels. The darker the chocolates contain more anti-oxidants and polyphenols.
- vitamin D – This vitamin increases levels of serotonin in the brain.
- vitamin B – Vitamin B rich foods like spinach, broccoli, dairy and eggs reduces the depression and increases energy.
- Tomato- this food is effective for mood enhancement because it contains folate, magnesium, iron and vitamin B6.
Things to avoid / limit:
- Reduce consuming processed foods
- Limit Sugar and sugary foods
- Limit Alcohol
- Limit caffeine