The problems related to bones among children are common these days. Most of the related diseases are caused by abnormalities of minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc. While many of them can be cured while others require lifetime management and treatment.
Early identification and treatment of the bone disease are essential for children health. It is mandatory to have a healthy diet, with calcium and vitamin D. Physical activity is also mandatory for prevention of diseases related to bones.
We are listing out some of the diseases related to bones among children
- Rickets: Rickets is a disorder that happens because of lack of vitamin D, phosphate or calcium. This is a disease in which bones become soft and become prone to fractures. Rickets mainly happen among children but can also affect adults as well.
Deficiency of Vitamin D makes difficult for your body to maintain sufficient levels of calcium and phosphate in your body. When your bones lack vitamin D and phosphate, they become weak and soft as well.
Symptoms of Rickets: Symptoms of Rickets includes
- Pain in the bones of the arms
- Muscle cramps
- Tooth deformities
- Skeletal deformities
Diagnosis of Rickets: The doctor may ask you to carry out some blood tests to determine the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood.
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a disease in which bones become weak and may break from a fall. Bones that are suffering from Osteoporotic disease have lost density or mass and contain abnormal tissue structure. Osteoporosis increases the risk of breaking of bones. It occurs mainly because of lack of exercises, smoking or excessive alcohol.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
- Loss of height over time.
- Back pain caused by a fractured vertebra.
- A bone fracture that occurs much more easily than expected.
Diagnosis of Osteoporosis
Diagnosis is done through a combination of tests which includes a physical examination, blood tests, DNA tests etc.